26.10.08

Don't worry people! If you are choking, having a stroke, having a baby, have something sticking out of you...

... DON'T WORRY I CAN HELP YOU! I'M TRAINED IN FIRST-AID!! "Hello, Hello, can you hear me? My name is Erica Braam, I'm a trained first-aider and I'm hear to help you. Can you hear me? Can you Hear me? Hey you in the red shirt, call an ambulence, 250-638-1102 and report back to me and bring the AED!"

That is only part of what I had to do for the past 2 days. On a thursday night at Air Cadets, Our Commanding Officer asked who wanted to do first aid and i thought that i would give it a shot because it sounded fun. Well it was for most of it. I'm such a squimish person and its not even funny. After watching videos of people amputating themselves, gettting things gouged into their eyes, having someone cut open their hand, leg or head, just makes me so squimish. I'm not the best person to go to with a cut because i get to discusted, but i just need to sit for like 2 seconds and breath, then i can work on the person. At Air Cadets people always get hurt for some reason and they always come to me. When we were filling up sandbags, one girl got a shovel in her foot. Well guess who she came to?? ME! I was like, 'Oh what happened?' She went on to tell me that some one was shoveling "dirt" and they nailed her foot instead. When i first heard her tell me i thought they got the front of her foot, but no, they got her toe. It was gushing and bleeding all over the place and i was the lucky one to help her. Well after being really grossed out i managed to help her. I gently wiped down the surrounding part of her toe and then swipped her toe to get the dirt out. Then i stuck a bandaid on her toe and she was set to go. I felt proud.
Then another girl later on came to me with a sprained ankle of some sort. I had her keep it still while i put a tensor bandage on her ankle. It didn't take long until she was set to go and her foot was doing good. Thanks to my wonderful knowledge on first-aid i got through it. Hahaha, i'm such a retard, but thats okay, there are my real life first-aid storys. I just hope that i don't get people coming to me with amputated fingers or arms, because i can tell you one thing. I'll either:
a. Pass out or
b. Vomit
Its not that nice. I'm very squimish i tell you. But if its someone that really needs me i'm sure i can get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment